Monday, July 11, 2011

Gummo (1997)

Director: Harmony Korine
Country: US
Length: 86 minutes
Genres: Drama

One night a few years ago I was channel surfing and paused on IFC (my usual go to entertainment for insomnia). On the screen there were two teenage boys riding bikes down a hill to the song "Dragonaut" by the California stoner metal band, Sleep. I didn't know what the hell I was watching but I was really intrigued by the music and continued to watch.

Harmony Korine (who wrote the script for "Kids") directed this film about Xenia, Ohio a town that after being hit by a tornado in 1974 just never seemed to recover. While there is no linear plot, the film instead consists of random clips of the towns residents, many of whom are homeless or very disturbing.

I watched this movie about five times and still couldn't find the meaning of it until a friend explained that there was none. He just told me that the only way to understand it is "to relate to it".

What do you think? Please leave thoughts and feedback if you've seen this movie or after you see it, I'm really curious to hear what others think about it. I'm going out of town for a couple of weeks, I look forward everyones posts!

5 comments:

  1. Great movie, some of the characters, the kids especially, are pretty disturbing, the move really shows a side of life that I just can't fathom, but find fascinating.

    Good one to upload!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've watched this. Fucked my head up when I did. Spent about a week just randomly thinking about stuff in the movie and trying to figure out what the hell it was supposed to be, exactly.

    Not sure if I liked it but it's certainly disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This movie is about what happens when an entire town has nothing to do. Simple really but i never liked this film and it was just really hard to sit through cuz it was boring to me. Even though all kinds of stuff was happening, i just couldn't care about it in any way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked this, I guess the story is very haphazardly thrown together, which like a tornado does to a town.

    I also watched Trash Humpers which sucked, don't watch Trash Humpers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this movie is being played on the tv in "BElly" in the back ground, i bough it for that, watched it a ton, "by the cat or by the pound" best line

    ReplyDelete